Friday, March 22, 2024

I Wonder Where She Got Them

 Read the following very short story:


My Daughter Learned to Count

My daughter woke me around 11:50 last night. My wife and I had picked her up from her friend Sally’s birthday party, brought her home, and put her to bed. My wife went into the bedroom to read while I fell asleep watching the Braves game.

“Daddy,” she whispered, tugging my shirt sleeve. “Guess how old I’m going to be next month.”

“I don’t know, beauty,” I said as I slipped on my glasses. “How old?”
She smiled and held up four fingers.

It is 7:30 now. My wife and I have been up with her for almost 8 hours. She still refuses to tell us where she got them.

What literary term does the author use to make this a horror story?

a. suspense
b. foreshadowing
c. imagery
d. situational irony










Scroll down for the answer.












________________________________________
a. is incorrect.  Suspense is often used to create horror stories, but not in this case.  
b. is incorrect.  There is nothing to hint at where the story is going.
c. is incorrect.  While imagery is often used in horror movies, it is not being used here
d. is correct.  It is unexpected that the little girl isn't just holding up the four fingers on her own hand. 

Want to read more freaky very short horror stories?  

No comments:

Post a Comment